Meet the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Team
The Norton Children’s Hospital cardiac intensive care unit (CICU) team includes highly skilled specialists in pediatric heart care from Norton Children’s and UofL Physicians. Our CICU team is specially trained to provide acute care for children with heart conditions. Having a dedicated team with advanced training and experience in caring for children with heart conditions leads to better care and better outcomes — and better experiences for families.
- John W. Berkenbosch, M.D.
- Aaron W. Calhoun, M.D.
- Christine R. Bailey, M.D.
- Natalie S. Henderson, M.D.
- Mark J. McDonald, M.D., medical director, Norton Children’s Hospital and Norton Children’s Medical Center
- Vicki L. Montgomery, M.D., chief, Division of Pediatric Critical Care
- Karen L. Orman, M.D., medical director, “Just for Kids” Transport Team
- Erin B. Owen, M.D.
- Eleanor B. Peterson, M.D.
- Melissa B. Porter, M.D., medical director, “Just for Kids” Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Katherine E. Potter, M.D.
- Michael D. Ruppe, M.D.
- Mary K. Sandquist, M.D.
- Janice E. Sullivan, M.D., chief, Division of Pediatric Clinical and Translational Research
- Deanna R. Todd Tzanetos, M.D., medical director, Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Sara E. Aldridge, APRN-PC/AC
- Alecia S. Cline, APRN-PC
- Misty D. Ellis, APRN-PC/AC
- Debbie L. Farrell, APRN-PC/AC
- Jodie Lynn Hignite, APRN-FNP/AC
- Amelia C. Lewis, APRN-AC
- Emily M. McRae, APRN-PC/AC
- Jessica Storch, APRN-AC
- Danielle Van Damme, DNP, APRN, CPNP-AC
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced care available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute
Call for an appointment
If your child needs surgery that will involve general anesthesia, it’s important to know that pediatric patients have unique needs. Their brains and bodies are still developing, and administering anesthesia to pediatric patients is […]Read Full Story
Ear tubes and other ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgeries are among the most common requiring general anesthesia for children 1 to 3 years old and babies as young as 6 months. The procedure […]Read Full Story