What to expect from Norton Children’s Heart Institute adult congenital heart disease services
Lifelong care tailored for your needs
Our physicians and other caregivers screen for complications and create custom plans for therapy and interventions, such as surgery. We collaborate with pediatric and adult specialists, and make your quality of life our top priority.
Access to all services you may need for adult congenital heart disease
- Open heart and minimally invasive heart surgery
- Diagnostic and interventional catheterization
- Patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect closure
- Melody valve implantation
- Electrophysiology and pacing
- Complex ablations
- Complex anatomical lead placement
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Automatic implantable cardioverter/defibrillator placement
- Echocardiography services
- Advanced diagnostic imaging, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT)
- Stress testing
- Stress and perfusion imaging
- Exercise counseling
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiac care during pregnancy
- Caring for congenital and acquired heart disease
- Serving all cardiac-related pregnancy needs
- Coordinating care with maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- Providing prepregnancy counseling
- Coordinating with congenital and adult heart failure and transplant teams
- Ventricular assist device program
- Multidisciplinary teams
- Adult and pediatric cardiologists
- Adult and pediatric hospitalists and intensivists
- High-risk obstetric specialists
- Genetics specialists
- Specialists in adult dentistry, gastroenterology, hematology, infectious diseases, nephrology, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics, primary care, psychiatry/psychology, pulmonology and surgery
- Nutrition specialists
- Social services to improve quality of life and access to care
- Financial guidance
- Health care insurance
- Psychological assistance
- Transition program
- Pulmonary hypertension/Eisenmenger syndrome program
- Single ventricle
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced care available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
For more information on services or to schedule an appointment with the Norton Children’s Heart Institute:
Hey there! My name is Eleanor and I’m 8 years old. I love drawing and art. I also really like to play with Legos with my little sister. I’m in the second grade, and the […]Read Full Story
Your child has an accident and your pediatrician’s office is closed; or maybe you’re traveling. When your child needs emergency care, it’s tempting to go to the closest hospital or immediate care center so he […]Read Full Story
The 10th annual Bourbon & Bowties celebrated all of the event’s honorees from the past nine years. Each of these remarkable honorees represents the more than 150,000 children who receive care at Norton Children’s Hospital […]Read Full Story
Walmart Inc. has announced it will commit the next $3 million it raises in the Louisville area to support the Norton Children’s Hospital “Just for Kids” Critical Care Center. This amount, which will be given […]Read Full Story