What to expect from the Norton Children’s Heart Institute Fetal Cardiology Program
A key advantage of the Norton Children’s Heart Institute Fetal Cardiology Program is that you can find out in advance if your baby will need specialized care and plan your delivery at Norton Hospital.
An echocardiogram can show:
- Blood flow through the heart
- Structures in the baby’s heart
Pregnant women are most often referred to the Fetal Cardiology Program by their obstetricians when the routine ultrasound done during pregnancy cannot visualize the heart or a suspected cardiac abnormality is seen or when certain risk factors are present.
- Abnormal heart rate or rhythm
- An issue with the baby’s other organs, such as the brain or kidneys
- Known or suspected chromosome abnormality
- Excess fluid in the baby’s neck, skin or other organs
- An issue with the umbilical cord or placenta
- Twins who share a placenta
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced care available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute
Call for an appointment
Some of the most frequently asked questions pediatricians hear from new parents are about health insurance. Below are some tips to help you establish insurance while making sure your baby’s medical needs are met in […]Read Full Story
Start a holiday tradition with your family at the 30th annual Festival of Trees & Lights, Nov. 15 to 17. Marvel at the hundreds of beautifully decorated trees, wreaths and décor items — all of […]Read Full Story
In Eli Alexander’s 23 months of life, he has overcome a congenital heart defect with the help of a heart transplant. His family has taken to comparing his strength and bravery to an elephant’s. It […]Read Full Story
Nicole Pendino has a courageous son. In fact, his nickname is “Courageous Clay.” Many members of his hometown community in Bowling Green, Kentucky, have rallied around him over the past 12 years. In 2017 when […]Read Full Story