Ventricular septal defect (VSD) repair
A ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a hole in the wall between the ventricles, the two lower chambers of the heart. The board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Heart Institute typically use surgery to repair VSDs if they do not close on their own, are too large, related symptoms are hard to control with medicines, or your child isn’t growing.
Interventional cardiologists may be able to repair less complex VSDs by using a catheter to implant an FDA-approved device to close the hole.
The interventional cardiologists at Norton Children’s Heart Institute will thread the catheter — a thin tube — through a large blood vessel unitl the catheter reaches the heart. The interventional cardiologist will place the closure device in the precise location to repair the VSD.
VSD repair with open heart surgery
Surgeons typically repair large VSDs with open heart surgery in infancy or childhood. Even if the child currently has few symptoms, physicians may recommend surgery to prevent complications laterwhen VSDs are large.
Surgeons often will use a patch to cover the hole. The patch may be a piece of lining from around the outside of the heart, called pericardium, or made of a special synthetic material. As your child grows, heart tissue will grow over the patch and it becomes a permanent part of the heart.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, is the leading provider of pediatric heart care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. We have the pediatric cardiologists, interventional pediatric cardiologists, and pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons available to decide which treatment option will be best to address your child’s VSD.
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute’s pediatric heart care among the best in the region. With our network of remote diagnostic and treatment services in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, your child can stay close to home for quality care.
VSD repair complications and after-care
In 99 percent of cases , patients have few or no complications after surgery to repair a VSD. After your child’s VSD repair, your child can expect to live a their life with no restrictions. Your child will still need regular checkups with a pediatric cardiologist as he or she grows.
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced cardiac intensive care unit available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
For more information on services or to schedule an appointment with the Norton Children’s Heart Institute:
The 10th annual Bourbon & Bowties celebrated all of the event’s honorees from the past nine years. Each of these remarkable honorees represents the more than 150,000 children who receive care at Norton Children’s Hospital […]Read Full Story
Walmart Inc. has announced it will commit the next $3 million it raises in the Louisville area to support the Norton Children’s Hospital “Just for Kids” Critical Care Center. This amount, which will be given […]Read Full Story
The students of North Harrison Elementary School in Ramsey, Indiana, raised $39,543.53 for Norton Children’s during the 2018-2019 school year and celebrated with a fun-filled field trip to Louisville Slugger Field on May 15, 2019. […]Read Full Story