Norton Children’s Heart Institute Adult Congenital Heart Disease services
Children born with heart disease are living longer, healthier lives thanks to medical advances. They need specialized care once they reach adulthood. Norton Children’s Heart Institute is the only adult congenital program in Kentucky caring for patients with adult congenital heart disease. We partner with those living with adult congenital heart disease (ACHD) from the time they reach adulthood and through their senior years.
Pediatric cardiologists with UofL Physicians and their team provide focused care for close to 1,000 adults annually in this rapidly growing field. Their training and years of experience have given them expertise in caring for the unique health care needs of adults with congenital heart conditions.
As an adult, why should I receive care at a children’s hospital?
Studies show that the risks of surgery are up to three times lower for ACHD patients who have their surgery at a children’s hospital. Receiving care from a specialized team that is trained to deal with congenital heart conditions in children and adults makes the difference.
Getting care from a team that understands the condition you were born with and how it affects you as an adult makes Norton Children’s Heart Institute the right place for your ACHD care.
At Norton Children’s Heart Institute:
- We provide you with all of the heart care you need in one place for life. Tests, therapies, surgeries and much more are all done here, no matter your age. We also partner with providers within the Norton Healthcare system to make sure you have a seamless health care experience.
- We provide you with the care, education and support you need as you age with your condition. We want you to experience the best health possible from your teen years to your golden years.
The right kind of collaborative care for your child
Our adult congenital heart disease specialists work closely with other physicians and programs within Norton Children’s Heart Institute and the Norton Healthcare system. Our team performs all diagnostic testing, surgeries and follow-up care at Norton Children’s Hospital.
Our providers from Norton Children’s and UofL Physicians are skilled at treating congenital heart conditions in children. You can draw strength, comfort and confidence from our highly trained specialists, including:
- Pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons
- Pediatric transplant surgeons
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Fetal cardiologists
- Adult congenital heart disease cardiologists
- Heart failure/heart transplant cardiologists
- Pediatric cardiac catheterization cardiologists
- Pediatric electrophysiologists
- Pediatric critical care physicians
- Cardiovascular anesthesiologists
- Cardiac critical care nurses
- Cardiac nurse practitioners
- Critical care pharmacists
- Child life specialists
- Diagnostic imaging specialists
- Family support team
- Genetic counselors
- Social workers
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced care available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute
Call for an appointment
If your child needs surgery that will involve general anesthesia, it’s important to know that pediatric patients have unique needs. Their brains and bodies are still developing, and administering anesthesia to pediatric patients is […]Read Full Story
Ear tubes and other ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgeries are among the most common requiring general anesthesia for children 1 to 3 years old and babies as young as 6 months. The procedure […]Read Full Story