Pediatric Cardiac Outpatient Program
Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the UofL School of Medicine, is the leading provider of pediatric heart care in Louisville, Southern Indiana and across Kentucky. Our pediatric cardiac outpatient program helps children with heart conditions and their families receive the care and education they need to be successful after they leave the hospital.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers throughout Kentucky — in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah. We also have 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
Collaborative Care That Keeps You in Kentucky
Our pediatric cardiac outpatient team works closely with other physicians and programs within Norton Children’s Heart Institute. We will not send you out of state for care — our team performs all diagnostic testing, surgeries and follow-up care at Norton Children’s Hospital.
The Right Kind of Care for You
Norton Children’s Heart Institute providers are skilled at treating heart conditions in children. You can draw strength, comfort and confidence from our highly trained specialists, including:
- Pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons
- Pediatric transplant surgeons
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Fetal cardiologists
- Adult congenital heart cardiologists
- Heart failure/heart transplant cardiologists
- Pediatric cardiac catheterization cardiologists
- Pediatric electrophysiologists
- Pediatric critical care physicians
- Cardiovascular anesthesiologists
- Cardiac critical care nurses
- Cardiac nurse practitioners
- Critical care pharmacists
- Child life specialists
- Diagnostic imaging specialists
- Family support team
- Genetic counselors
- Social workers
Why Choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is rated higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Heart Institute Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the UofL School of Medicine, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons rated Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to treat a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient offices in Ashland, Bowling Green, Campbellsville, Elizabethtown, Frankfort, London, Madisonville, Murray, Owensboro, Paducah and Shepherdsville in Kentucky; as well as Corydon, Jasper, Madison and Scottsburg in Indiana; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has awarded the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) is the largest dedicated CICU in Kentucky, equipped with 17 private rooms and the newest technology available for heart care .
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute
Call for an appointment
Eli Thompson dreams of becoming a basketball coach. While the sophomore at Central Hardin High School in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, may have his sights set on championship wins on the court, he has achieved an even […]Read Full Story
Despite the change in many of our daily routines during the COVID-19 pandemic, babies are still being born, and those newborns still need medical care. Our Norton Children’s Medical Associates offices are open and seeing patients, but [...]Read Full Story
Since Louisville native and endocrinologist Kupper A. Wintergerst, M.D., arrived at Norton Children’s Hospital in 2006, he has expanded the endocrinology and diabetes program from a single physician and nurse practitioner to 10 physicians and […]Read Full Story