The Norton Children’s Difference
Norton Children’s Gynecology in Louisville, Kentucky, is dedicated to gynecological care of children, adolescents and young women. Norton Children’s Gynecology offers a full scope of gynecologic services and surgeries to treat conditions in girls and young women up to age 18.
Children and adolescents have very different health needs than adults, and that’s true regarding virtually every aspect of medical care. Norton Children’s Gynecology provides gynecologic care for girls and young women using techniques and instruments specially designed for this age group. Our team understands the variations of normal prepuberty anatomy and physiology, and how to communicate with children, young women and parents on sensitive topics.
Our staff includes licensed pediatric and adolescent gynecologists, licensed pediatric and adolescent gynecology fellows and nurse practitioners who treat conditions of the reproductive tract that affect girls from birth to young adulthood (up to age 18). Our team has been providing comprehensive pediatric and adolescent gynecology services to our community for more than 25 years.
Teaching Tomorrow’s Physicians
Norton Children’s Gynecology hosts a pediatric and adolescent gynecology training program, where University of Louisville School of Medicine residents can learn alongside Norton Children’s gynecologists.
Why Does My Child Need to See a Gynecologist?
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends a preventive gynecologic health visit between age 11 and 13. The visit often does not include a pelvic exam, unless there are strong reasons to indicate one is necessary. The goal of the visit is for health promotion, education and screening. It is an opportunity for girls to establish a relationship with a gynecologist, evaluate their current health (patterns and regularity of periods, cramping, etc.), and receive information and resources for staying healthy.
We Treat All Types of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecologic Conditions
Whether it’s a well-girl visit or a specialized procedure, Norton Children’s Gynecology provides quality care and understanding. We care for the following conditions:
- Ambiguous genitalia
- Colorectal and pelvic disorders
- Fertility and reproductive health
- Menstrual disorders in teenagers, including heavy or prolonged bleeding
- Ovarian masses, cysts and tumors
- Pediatric vulvovaginitis
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Pubertal aberration
- Vaginal agenesis (surgical/nonsurgical creation of neovagina)
- Care after sexual abuse
- Gynecological care for patients with special needs
- Hormonal regulation of menstruation
- Laparoscopic diagnosis and management of endometriosis
- Laparoscopic management of ovarian cysts (newborns to adolescents)
- Treatment for vaginal agenesis (failure of the vagina to develop or grow) or other reproductive tract anomalies
- Full scope of gynecologic surgeries