Norton Children’s Emergency Medicine
When a child needs immediate emergency care, Norton Children’s has the expertise, technology and facilities to give children and teens the quality care they deserve.
Norton Children’s has three pediatric emergency department locations to provide trauma and emergency care designed “Just for Kids.” Each of our locations offers 24-hour emergency services and features equipment and facilities to provide care for children from newborns to age 21. Norton Children’s Hospital has been verified as Pediatric Readyby the Kentucky Pediatric Emergency Care Coalition. This means that our emergency department has the proper policies, processes, staff, and equipment to effectively treat children.
Norton Children’s Hospital is a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
Norton Children’s Hospital is the region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and the only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in Louisville. Being a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center means the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma certifies that Norton Children’s Hospital can provide the best care for the most severely injured children 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our emergency department has board-certified, fellowship-trained emergency medicine physicians, pediatric trauma surgeons in house 24/7, as well as trauma-certified staff.
Compassionate emergency care for children and their families
Norton Children’s Hospital facilities have child life therapists who provide support for children and families during their hospital stay. Child life specialists have training in child development, psychology and counseling. They help children understand a diagnosis or procedure by explaining in age-appropriate words and concepts.
Norton Children’s has certified child life therapists at our three emergency department locations. Norton Children’s also has a pet therapy program at two of our locations. Research shows that having full-time therapy dogs has many beneﬁts for patients and families. Pet therapy helps reduce anxiety, which may help patients recover faster. Sometimes it’s providing emotional comfort by lying at the foot of a child’s hospital bed or sitting by their side before a procedure. The dogs also can help with physical recovery by encouraging kids to get out of bed, walk and play.
Collaboration with UofL Physicians for your child’s care
We work with providers from UofL Physicians to provide highly skilled care for your child. Norton Children’s Hospital serves as the primary pediatric teaching facility for the University of Louisville School of Medicine. These doctors are professors and active researchers helping to advance medical care through clinical research and education.
Why Norton Children’s for emergency care?
- “Just for Kids” Transport Team provides access to Norton Children’s Hospital through fixed-wing, helicopter and ground transportation.
- Norton Children’s Hospital is the region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital.
- Norton Children’s Hospital is the only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in Louisville. The emergency department treats approximately 60,000 children each year. The staff is trauma certified, and nurses have pediatric advanced life support certification.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center in northeastern Jefferson County on the Norton Brownsboro Hospital campus has a 24/7 pediatric emergency department with 16 treatment rooms, four sedation rooms typically used for diagnostic imaging, and a dedicated radiology suite. The medical center is staffed with the same emergency medicine providers as Norton Children’s Hospital.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital provides children’s pediatric emergency care, along with diagnostic imaging and testing capabilities, for children.
- Kentucky Poison Control Center is of Norton Children’s Hospital provides a hotline staffed with nurses, physicians and pharmacists available to answer questions and respond to emergencies involving possible poisoning 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Certified child life therapists are available at our three locations to help children and families navigate the stress of a diagnosis or hospital stay.
- The Heal, Dog, Heel pet therapy program has dogs available for patients at Norton Children’s Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital.
Call for More Information
Norton Children’s Emergency Medicine
Call for information
Anesthesia and sedation for children is safer than it has ever been, thanks to advances in clinician training as well as safer medications. Anesthesia and sedation make it possible for sick babies, children and teens […]Read Full Story
Germany had more than 300 drownings in the summer of 2018. The German Lifeguard Association (DLRG), the world’s largest lifeguard organization, issued a warning to parents in response: There is a direct link between being distracted by […]Read Full Story
Overuse of antibiotics is a worldwide problem, reducing the drug’s effectiveness and making serious bacterial infections resistant to treatment. For its efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing, Norton Children’s Hospital has been named an Antimicrobial Stewardship […]Read Full Story