Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Norton Children’s
Norton Children’s pediatric plastic and reconstructive surgery specialists care for children who need restoration, repair or reconstruction of body structures due to an injury or medical condition. Plastic surgeons can also address complex lacerations, complex wounds, tissues removal such as moles and birth marks, and complex burns.
When Should My Child See a Plastic Surgeon?
Plastic surgeons are trained to correct visible deformities caused by a traumatic event or birth defect. Our plastic surgery team often works collaboratively with other Norton Children’s specialties, such as:
- Otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat)
- General surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
These pediatric specialists help our plastic surgeons manage each child’s care plan to achieve the best long-term outcome based on the patient’s needs and type of injury or deformity.
Craniofacial Disorders Team
The craniofacial disorders team at Norton Children’s Hospital is a multidisciplinary group of specialists, including plastic surgeons and pediatric neurosurgeons, who have specific training and interest in the evaluation and treatment of infants, children and young adults with complex craniofacial deformities, including:
- Cleft lip and palate
- Craniofacial syndromes
- Ear anomalies
- Facial clefts
- Facial synostosis
- Orbital deformities
The Norton Children’s Difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital– The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialist offices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital– The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center– A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” brings pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s Offers Specialized Programs and Services, Including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs in the U.S. and continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart transplant surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 3 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Call for More Information
Norton Children’s Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Call for more information
Anesthesia and sedation for children is safer than it has ever been, thanks to advances in clinician training as well as safer medications. Anesthesia and sedation make it possible for sick babies, children and teens […]Read Full Story
Germany had more than 300 drownings in the summer of 2018. The German Lifeguard Association (DLRG), the world’s largest lifeguard organization, issued a warning to parents in response: There is a direct link between being distracted by […]Read Full Story
Overuse of antibiotics is a worldwide problem, reducing the drug’s effectiveness and making serious bacterial infections resistant to treatment. For its efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing, Norton Children’s Hospital has been named an Antimicrobial Stewardship […]Read Full Story