Pharmacy at Norton Children’s
Norton Children’s Pharmacy is staffed by pediatric-trained pharmacists who offer medication management that’s designed “just for kids.” Our pediatric pharmacists partner to meet the needs of every patient by working collaboratively with hospital care teams.
What Are the Benefits of a Pediatric Pharmacist for Your Child’s Care?
Medication dosing is much different for children and teens than for adults. Norton Children’s pharmacists are specially trained in dosing for pediatric patients by age and size. They work to customize each dose with the proper formulation to ensure compliance, efficacy, and safety. medication.
Our pharmacists work collaboratively with services throughout the hospital to provide care. As part of a whole care team, our pharmacists visit patients daily as part of multidisciplinary rounds.
Our pediatric pharmacists monitor children taking high-risk medications, antibiotics, and chemotherapy; looking for any signs of drug interactions or allergies. They also offer age-appropriate education for children and families. Our pediatric pharmacists provide the latest information about medications to other health care professionals and even assist with pain management.
Norton Children’s Pharmacy Accreditations
Overuse of antibiotics is a worldwide problem, reducing the drug’s effectiveness and even making serious bacterial infections resistant to treatment. In 2019, Norton Children’s Hospital was named an Antimicrobial Stewardship Center of Excellence, for its efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing .
The designation from the Infectious Diseases Society of America is awarded to hospitals that effectively prescribe antibiotics and combat their overuse. Norton Children’s Hospital is only the fifth pediatric hospital in the country to receive the designation.
Norton Children’s Hospital Pharmacy Residency Program
Norton Children’s Hospital offers a two-year pharmacy residency program accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Our program provides residents with a comprehensive experience that focuses exclusively on children, from newborns to young adults, across all specialties.
Norton Children’s Pharmacy offers two of only a few specialized residency training programs for pediatrics in critical care and oncology available in the country. Learn more about the pharmacy residency program.
Meds to Beds Program
Our “Meds to Beds” program allows patients to have their prescriptions filled and delivered to their room before they leave the hospital. This allows patients to have all the items they need when they leave the hospital so that the first stop can be home. Medications also may be picked up in person at the pharmacy, if desired. The Meds to Beds program is available at all Norton Healthcare hospitals.
The Norton Children’s Difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital– The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialistoffices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital– The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center– A unique regional outpatient facility designed “just for kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
- Novak Center
Norton Children’s offers specialized programs and services, including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart transplant surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level IV epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Call for More Information
Jennifer Lawrence has given back to her hometown by serving as a donor and ambassador for children in the areas of health care and arts. Her donation of $2 million and challenge to other donors […]Read Full Story
If you have tweens or teens, you’ve no doubt noticed things have changed since you were that age. Maybe you talked about puberty and sex with your parents, or maybe they left it to a […]Read Full Story
A newly renovated neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Norton Children’s Hospital was unveiled Feb. 13 as the culmination of a five-phase, $22.1 million project to update existing NICU space to a developmental model of […]Read Full Story