Norton Children’s Pediatric Dentistry
Norton Children’s pediatric dentists care for children up to age 17. Our pediatric dentists offer a wide range of services, including dental care for children with special needs, dental cleaning, restorations, extractions and interceptive orthodontic care. Emergency dental care also is available at Norton Children’s Hospital.
Why See a Pediatric Dentist for Pediatric Dental Care?
Pediatric dentists have specialized training in caring for children’s developing teeth. Pediatric dentists understand how the teeth grow and can monitor for problems or conditions that may develop. Our pediatric dentists have experience in treating the unique dental conditions that children experience.
Pediatric dentists at Norton Children’s provide care that’s “Just for Kids.” Our pediatric dental care offers:
- Anesthesia or sedation from fellowship-trained pediatric anesthesiologists
- Child-friendly environment to help kids feel comfortable
- Smaller dental equipment specially designed for a child’s mouth
When Should My Child Have Their First Pediatric Dental Care Visit?
Cavities (tooth decay) can start as soon as teeth form in the mouth. A child’s first dental care visit should happen by 12 months old. Teeth should be brushed with a soft toothbrush and water as soon as parents see them come in.
Collaboration with UofL Dentistry for Your Child’s Care
We work with providers from UofL Dentistry to offer highly skilled care for your child. Norton Children’s Hospital serves as the primary pediatric teaching facility for the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. These dentists are professors and active researchers helping to advance medical care through clinical research and education.
The Norton Children’s Difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital – The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialist offices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital – The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center – A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s Offers Specialized Programs and Services, Including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 4 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Pediatric Dentistry at Norton Children’s
Call for More Information
Eli Thompson dreams of becoming a basketball coach. While the sophomore at Central Hardin High School in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, may have his sights set on championship wins on the court, he has achieved an even […]Read Full Story
Despite the change in many of our daily routines during the COVID-19 pandemic, babies are still being born, and those newborns still need medical care. Our Norton Children’s Medical Associates offices are open and seeing patients, but [...]Read Full Story
Since Louisville native and endocrinologist Kupper A. Wintergerst, M.D., arrived at Norton Children’s Hospital in 2006, he has expanded the endocrinology and diabetes program from a single physician and nurse practitioner to 10 physicians and […]Read Full Story