Norton Children’s Pediatric Dentistry
Norton Children’s pediatric dentists care for children up to age 17. Our pediatric dentists offer a wide range of services, including dental care for children with special needs, dental cleaning, restorations, extractions and interceptive orthodontic care. Emergency dental care also is available at Norton Children’s Hospital.
Why See a Pediatric Dentist for Pediatric Dental Care?
Pediatric dentists have specialized training in caring for children’s developing teeth. Pediatric dentists understand how the teeth grow and can monitor for problems or conditions that may develop. Our pediatric dentists have experience in treating the unique dental conditions that children experience.
Pediatric dentists at Norton Children’s provide care that’s “Just for Kids.” Our pediatric dental care offers:
- Anesthesia or sedation from fellowship-trained pediatric anesthesiologists
- Child-friendly environment to help kids feel comfortable
- Smaller dental equipment specially designed for a child’s mouth
When Should My Child Have Their First Pediatric Dental Care Visit?
Cavities (tooth decay) can start as soon as teeth form in the mouth. A child’s first dental care visit should happen by 12 months old. Teeth should be brushed with a soft toothbrush and water as soon as parents see them come in.
Collaboration with UofL Dentistry for Your Child’s Care
We work with providers from UofL Dentistry to offer highly skilled care for your child. Norton Children’s Hospital serves as the primary pediatric teaching facility for the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. These dentists are professors and active researchers helping to advance medical care through clinical research and education.
The Norton Children’s Difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital – The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialist offices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital – The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center – A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s Offers Specialized Programs and Services, Including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 4 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Pediatric Dentistry at Norton Children’s
Call for More Information
Babies should be introduced “nutrient dense” and “potentially allergenic foods” at 6 months old, according to new guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services. The recommendations […]Read Full Story
For the past 13 years, Fred Bennett has assumed the role of “candy man” at the gift shop in Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital. This dedicated volunteer is known for ensuring that staff and visitors […]Read Full Story
Norton Children’s Hospital has been verified as a Level I Children’s Surgery Center by the American College of Surgeons Children’s Surgery Verification Quality Improvement Program. The verification means Norton Children’s Hospital meets standards that ensure […]Read Full Story
As a medical student, Kimberly S. Huhmann, M.D., was interested in both pediatrics and obstetrics/gynecology. It was during her residency that Dr. Huhmann started considering combining her interests as a pediatric and adolescent gynecology specialist. […]Read Full Story
Norton Healthcare cut the ribbon on its newly renovated Norton Children’s Hospital pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), marking the completion of a $78 million expansion and renovation project to improve critical care services for children […]Read Full Story