Implantable loop recorder (ILR)
An implantable loop recorder (ILR) is about the size of one AA battery or a house key. Placed just under the skin in the chest, it can record heart rhythms continuously for years.
Long-term heart rhythm monitoring can capture information about abnormalities that happen only infrequently. A standard electrocardiogram, Holter monitor or other event monitors are active only for a few minutes up to about a week.
If your child has fainting episodes or heart palpitations and other tests haven’t identified a cause, your child’s cardiologist at Norton Children’s Heart Institute may consider this device to capture more information. The data is transmitted wirelessly to Norton Children’s Heart Institute, where it can be evaluated.
What happens after a loop recording?
The loop recorder sends its data wirelessly to the specialists at Norton Children’s Heart Institute for evaluation. Your child’s cardiologist will evaluate the heart rhythms received. Your pediatric cardiologist will then meet with you to discuss the results. Some children are found to have nothing wrong with their heart rhythm. Others may need medications or even need to consider a pacemaker or implanted defibrillator to address an arrhythmia and restore normal heart rhythm.
A loop recorder is one of many tools the board-certified and fellowship-trained physicians at Norton Children’s Heart Institute may use to determine a precise diagnosis of your child’s heart issue.
With sophisticated diagnostic tools, Norton Children’s physicians will use their experience and training to develop a treatment plan tailored to your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, is the leading provider of pediatric heart care in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute’s pediatric heart care among the best in the region. With our network of remote diagnostic and treatment services in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, your child can stay close to home for quality care.
Preparing your child for loop recorder implantation
The implantation is a minor surgical procedure. Talk with your child’s doctor about what you should do beforehand.
If your child is sedated (asleep) for the procedure, a specially trained pediatric cardiac anesthesiologist will stay with your child while they are asleep.
Your child may not be able to eat or drink anything the night before the procedure. Don’t stop giving your child his or her regular medicines unless your child’s doctor tells you to stop.
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced cardiac intensive care unit available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
For more information on services or to schedule an appointment with the Norton Children’s Heart Institute:
The 10th annual Bourbon & Bowties celebrated all of the event’s honorees from the past nine years. Each of these remarkable honorees represents the more than 150,000 children who receive care at Norton Children’s Hospital […]Read Full Story
Walmart Inc. has announced it will commit the next $3 million it raises in the Louisville area to support the Norton Children’s Hospital “Just for Kids” Critical Care Center. This amount, which will be given […]Read Full Story
The students of North Harrison Elementary School in Ramsey, Indiana, raised $39,543.53 for Norton Children’s during the 2018-2019 school year and celebrated with a fun-filled field trip to Louisville Slugger Field on May 15, 2019. […]Read Full Story