Cardiac rehab offered by Norton Children’s Heart Institute is medically supervised. It can help older children and adult congenital heart disease patients recover from a procedure. It also can help patients to live better with their heart condition.
At Norton Children’s Heart Institute, our cardiac rehabilitation program provides supervised exercise, lifestyle education, and psychological and social support. Following specifications from your or your child’s physician, our rehab providers will provide a customized cardiac rehab program.
The Norton Children’s Heart Institute cardiac rehabilitation program offers:
- Consults and supervision from our pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians
- Exercise monitored by a cardiac rehab professional
- Individualized cardiovascular exercise and activity training
- Blood pressure and continuous electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) monitoring
- Education on heart health, medication and lifestyle choices
The Norton Children’s cardiac rehabilitation program provides exercise and education to help adult patients and pediatric patients feel better, increase endurance and improve their overall quality of life.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, is the leading provider of pediatric heart care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Our pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians work associated with Norton Children’s Heart Institute have the experience to tailor a cardiac rehabilitation program to best fit your child’s needs.
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute’s pediatric heart care among the best in the region. Norton Children’s has a network of outreach diagnostic and treatment services conveniently located throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana.
Benefits of pediatric cardiac rehabilitation
Pediatric cardiac rehabilitation and rehab for adult congenital heart disease patients can:
- Reduce shortness of breath, chest pain and fatigue
- Reduce emotional stress, depression and anxiety
- Improve muscle tone, flexibility and range of motion
- Increase energy level
- Strengthen the body
- Speed return to work, school and other activities
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced cardiac intensive care unit available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
Norton Children’s Heart Institute
Call for an appointment
Holiday travel can be filled with a lot of fun memories for kids — road trips with the entire family, visits to their grandma’s and grandpa’s house and more. Before families hit the road this […]Read Full Story
The life-changing care provided by Norton Children’s throughout Louisville, Kentucky and Southern Indiana wouldn’t be possible without the generosity of those who contribute to the Children’s Hospital Foundation. Over 30,000 donors gave a total of […]Read Full Story
The increase in cases of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) bronchiolitis is persisting in the Louisville area, with more than 300 cases diagnosed by Norton Healthcare providers this season. The latest data, from just before the Thanksgiving […]Read Full Story