What to expect during Norton Children’s inpatient pediatric cardiology care
Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, provides a full range of care for patients with congenital heart disease, including:
- Newborn diagnosis and stabilization at birth
- Postoperative surgical care
- Management of complex arrhythmias
- Care of patients with heart failure, cardiomyopathy and heart transplant recipients
- Management of pulmonary hypertension
- Congenital heart disease patients hospitalized for other reasons, such as treatment for a lung infection or monitoring after surgery
- Management of patients following complex cardiac catheterization
- Patients requiring mechanical heart support, including extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) or ventricular assist devices (VADs)
- Advanced cardiac imaging including cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) scans
- A team approach, including:
- Child life specialists
- Occupational and physical therapists
- Social workers
- Speech language pathologists
- Hearts & Hands Care Team, who works to meet the needs of the entire family
Our specialists work as a team and round each morning in the patient’s room to discuss care plans. We encourage families to participate, provide input and ask questions during these discussions.
When your child is getting ready to go home, we teach you how to provide care. This includes CPR training, feeding, medication administration and any specialized equipment needs. Our transition team ensures families are prepared for discharge and understand outpatient follow-up plans.
Why choose Norton Children’s Heart Institute
No other congenital heart surgery program in Kentucky, Ohio or Southern Indiana is ranked higher by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons than the Norton Children’s Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery Program.
- Norton Children’s Hospital has been a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, performing Kentucky’s first pediatric heart transplant in 1986 and becoming the second site in the United States to perform an infant heart transplant.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained pediatric cardiovascular surgeons are leaders in the field as clinicians and researchers.
- More than 5,000 children a year visit Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, for advanced heart care.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute successfully performs more than 17,500 procedures a year.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranked Norton Children’s Heart Institute among the best in the region after studying years of our patients’ outcomes and our ability to handle a range of pediatric heart conditions, including the most severe.
- Norton Children’s Heart Institute has satellite outpatient centers in Bowling Green, Frankfort, Owensboro and Paducah; 28 tele-echocardiography locations in Kentucky and Southern Indiana; and six fetal echocardiography locations across Kentucky.
- The American Board of Thoracic Surgery has certified the cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Children’s Hospital with subspecialty certification in congenital heart surgery.
- The Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit is under construction to give our patients the most advanced care available.
- Our multidisciplinary approach to pediatric heart surgery brings together our specialists in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, cardiac critical care and other areas to create a complete care plan tailored for your child.
For more information on services or to schedule an appointment with the Norton Children’s Heart Institute:
The 10th annual Bourbon & Bowties celebrated all of the event’s honorees from the past nine years. Each of these remarkable honorees represents the more than 150,000 children who receive care at Norton Children’s Hospital […]Read Full Story
Walmart Inc. has announced it will commit the next $3 million it raises in the Louisville area to support the Norton Children’s Hospital “Just for Kids” Critical Care Center. This amount, which will be given […]Read Full Story
The students of North Harrison Elementary School in Ramsey, Indiana, raised $39,543.53 for Norton Children’s during the 2018-2019 school year and celebrated with a fun-filled field trip to Louisville Slugger Field on May 15, 2019. […]Read Full Story