What to bring to the hospital for your child
What to bring
- Insurance cards, medical cards, photo identification and your child‘s Social Security number
- A copy of your child‘s immunization record
- Proof of guardianship (for court-appointed guardians)
- All of your child’s medications, including breathing treatments and inhalants
- Containers for eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and dentures; leave valuables such as jewelry at home
- Your child’s favorite toy, blanket and/or pacifier to help make the surroundings more familiar
- Dress your child comfortably. Clothing should be loose and easily removed. If your child is having a cast applied, bring appropriate clothing to wear with the cast.
- If you are not the parent, you must bring court-appointed guardianship/custody papers in order to sign consent. In the absence of guardianship/custody papers, surgery will be canceled.
Not required, but you or your child might want:
- A device for streaming entertainment. Our facilities have free Wi-Fi.
- A blanket, pillow and stuffed animal from home
- Pajamas from home. Norton Children’s Hospital provides pajamas too.
- Slippers and socks; sometimes you can wear your own clothes
- Photos of family and friends and fun posters to decorate your room (Remember, it is your room while you are at the hospital!)
- Toothbrush, comb, lotion and personal items
- Games, books, magazines, art supplies and other fun activities
- Any favorite food or snacks
- Questions for doctors, nurses and other caregivers
- A positive attitude — everyone is here to help you! You will do great!
Call for More Information
Anesthesia and sedation for children is safer than it has ever been, thanks to advances in clinician training as well as safer medications. Anesthesia and sedation make it possible for sick babies, children and teens […]Read Full Story
Germany had more than 300 drownings in the summer of 2018. The German Lifeguard Association (DLRG), the world’s largest lifeguard organization, issued a warning to parents in response: There is a direct link between being distracted by […]Read Full Story
Overuse of antibiotics is a worldwide problem, reducing the drug’s effectiveness and making serious bacterial infections resistant to treatment. For its efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing, Norton Children’s Hospital has been named an Antimicrobial Stewardship […]Read Full Story