Children and Hospitals Week Is Back!
Building Healthy Superheroes (Kindergartners Only)
This year’s program is completely virtual
The Building Healthy Superheroes field trip is a fun and interactive program designed for kindergarten students. The program teaches healthy and safe lifestyle choices for children, while introducing them to a doctor’s office, hospital and the wonderful people who work with kids every day!
The field trip has two areas: Wellness World and Safety City. As the students travel through Wellness World, they will learn the importance of eating fruits and vegetables, limiting screen time, being active, avoiding sugary drinks, taking care of their teeth and recognizing their emotions.
In Safety City, they will learn to always buckle up and use a booster seat; to use a bicycle helmet for every ride, every time; to never put their feet in the street until they have looked left-right-left and listened; to crawl low in smoke; and to stop, drop and roll if their clothes are on fire.
After the class visits an area, the teacher will receive a badge, and the students will activate their healthy superpowers for the area. Once the class has received both badges and the students’ superpowers have been activated, they will be ready for their Healthy Superhero graduation. At the final stop, they will take the official Healthy Superhero pledge and transform into Healthy Superheroes! The teacher may now award their students with their very own Superhero cape! Teachers who are unable to distribute capes will receive a PowerPoint presentation they can use to customize on-screen capes with each student’s name.
The teacher now may award their students with their very own Healthy Superhero cape! Teachers who are unable to distribute capes will receive a PowerPoint presentation they can use to customize on-screen capes with each student’s name. This will allow each student to be recognized at their Healthy Superhero graduation.
Reasons to Host the Virtual Building Healthy Superheroes Field Trip
- It teaches kids important wellness and safety lifestyle habits through fun and interactive videos and learning activities with Max and the Defenders, a superhero and his puppet friends.
- It meets many of the Kentucky and Indiana Academic Standards for Health Education and Physical Education.
- It is a free program.
- It’s flexible! Teachers choose the week and format to host the program to fit their schedule.
- Kids earn their very own superhero cape!
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens after I register?
- You will receive a confirmation email once your registration is received. A toolkit will be emailed to each registered teacher beginning in March 2021. It will contain everything needed for the virtual learning experience.
What is included in the teacher’s toolkit?
- Links to four 20- to 40-minute videos
- Link to full-color activity sheets to copy and use or share on screen and discuss with the class
- Ideas and resources for additional learning activities
When do students receive their capes?
- Capes will be mailed to teachers to give out to their students. Teachers who are unable to distribute capes will receive a PowerPoint presentation they can use to customize on-screen capes with each student’s name. This will allow each student to be recognized at their Healthy Superhero graduation!
- Additional details will be coming soon.
When is the field trip?
Teachers choose the dates and times convenient for their class’s schedule. Teacher toolkits will be emailed beginning in March 2021.
What is the format of the field trip? How long does it take? Who facilitates the program for the students?
The field trip is facilitated by the teacher in either a four-day or one-day format for flexibility.
- Four-day: Students watch one 20- to 40-minute video per day followed by interactive activities to reinforce lessons learned. These can be completed with the teacher or as homework. Our recommendation is to complete the program in four consecutive days to build on and emphasize the lessons.
- One-day: The program can be facilitated as a traditional daylong field trip.
- Day 1: Welcome to Norton Children’s Healthy Superhero Training Academy
- Day 2: Wellness World
- Day 3: Safety City
- Day 4: Healthy Superhero graduation and conclusion of program
- Facilitate all modules in one day for a traditional field trip experience
Who can register and how?
Teachers or educators of kindergarten students can register. They should register each kindergarten class separately.