The Christensen Family Sports & Activity Program is unlike any resource in the country for kids with diabetes. It provides individualized Type 1 diabetes monitoring and education for children who participate in sports and physical activities. The program’s goal is for everyone with diabetes to be able to maximize their health and performance. The program is made possible through a donation to the Norton Children’s Hospital Foundation by Tony Christensen, in honor of his son, Mason, who has Type 1 diabetes.
Can You Play Sports With Diabetes?
There was a time when it was thought that children with Type 1 diabetes should refrain from strenuous exercise. However, we now know the benefits of healthy activity for children and young adults with Type 1diabetes. Children, teens and young adults with Type 1 diabetes can participate in sports up to an elite level –– with help and special care provided for their condition.
The Christensen Family Sports & Activity Program is a free resource available to all current patients of the Wendy Novak Diabetes Center with Type 1 diabetes. We see children and young adults ages 6 to 26. This service is available no matter the level of physical activity, from beginner to elite college athlete. This specialized diabetes sports medicine program strives to provide children and young adults with Type 1 diabetes the same level of care that professional athletes with Type 1 diabetes receive.
The goals of this program are to:
- Improve self-management of blood glucose during physical activity.
- Help participants maintain blood sugar within an adequate range during activity, exercise and sports participation.
- Enrich the lives of children and their participation in physical activities.
- Encourage children and young adults with diabetes to be more physically active.
- Improve patient care through the use of mobile technology to monitor daily activity, diet and glucose levels analyzed by our team of specialists.
- Become a community-engaged program through outreach and events.
The program also conducts research on the management of diabetes in young athletes. Research opportunities currently are available for patients.
Novak Center for Children’s Health, Suite 743
411 E. Chestnut St.
Louisville, KY 40202