Acupuncture Services at Norton Children’s
Norton Children’s offers acupuncture for children and teens with a wide range of conditions, from anxiety to chronic pain and migraine. Acupuncture is a complementary therapy, often used in conjunction with traditional medical treatments.
What kinds of acupuncture are available?
Acupuncture is offered to children through a variety of methods:
- Auricular (ear) acupuncture
- Classic needle acupuncture
- Electroacupuncture, a form of acupuncture that uses a small electric current
- Ion cord current transfer
- Laser acupuncture, a form of acupuncture that uses a cold laser
- Moxibustion, the burning of a mugwort (moxa) plant near the skin
Conditions that acupuncture treats
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal migraines
- Anxiety, including anxiety related to test taking and sports
- Back pain
- Bell’s palsy
- Chronic pain conditions
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Migraine headaches
- Neck pain
Collaboration with UofL Physicians for your child’s care
We work with providers from UofL Physicians to provide highly skilled care for your child. Norton Children’s Hospital serves as the primary pediatric teaching facility for the University of Louisville School of Medicine. These doctors are professors and active researchers helping to advance medical care through clinical research and education.
The Norton Children’s difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital– The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialistoffices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital– The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center– A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s offers specialized programs and services, including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart transplant surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 4 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
Call for More Information
Anesthesia and sedation for children is safer than it has ever been, thanks to advances in clinician training as well as safer medications. Anesthesia and sedation make it possible for sick babies, children and teens […]Read Full Story
Germany had more than 300 drownings in the summer of 2018. The German Lifeguard Association (DLRG), the world’s largest lifeguard organization, issued a warning to parents in response: There is a direct link between being distracted by […]Read Full Story
Overuse of antibiotics is a worldwide problem, reducing the drug’s effectiveness and making serious bacterial infections resistant to treatment. For its efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing, Norton Children’s Hospital has been named an Antimicrobial Stewardship […]Read Full Story