Some of the best sources of fiber for children are whole-grain breads, apples, bananas and legumes (dried beans, lentils, etc.).
Lack of regular bowel movements can cause pressure in the urinary tract and block urine flow, allowing bacteria to grow. A diet high in fiber paired with drinking enough water promotes healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. Fiber won’t work without enough water in the diet. Some of the best sources of fiber for children are whole-grain breads, apples, bananas and legumes (dried beans, lentils, etc.).
Bran Muffin Bites
• 1 cup water, or 1 cup apple juice
• 2 cups All-Bran cereal
• 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
• 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 containers plain Greek yogurt (5 oz each)
• 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
• 1 cup flour, all-purpose
• 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup All-Bran cereal
• Optional, large grain raw or Turbinado sugar to finish tops
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Boil 1 cup of water or juice.
3. Mix boiling water or juice and 2 cups All Bran cereal together in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Mix together oil, sugar, applesauce and eggs. Add yogurt and mix well.
5. Mix oil-applesauce-egg-yogurt mixture into cereal-liquid mix set aside earlier.
6. Using a separate bowl or paper plate, mix together dry ingredients: baking soda, flours, and salt.
7. Mix dry ingredients into liquid All Bran and water/juice mixture.
8. Lastly, add 1 cup of dry All Bran cereal. Mix until blended.
9. Spray a mini-muffin or regular muffin tin with non-stick spray.
10. Fill each tin 3/4 of the way full of batter. Using an ice cream scoop with a quick release handle speeds filling tins and helps muffins come out more uniform in size and look.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes for mini muffins and 13-15 minutes for regular size muffins or until the muffins bounce back.
12. For a nice optional finish with a bit of added taste, take muffins out of oven half-way through baking time and dust lightly with large grain raw sugar. Return to oven to finish baking.