What We Do
The Norton Children’s G-Tube Clinic is made up of board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians from across the Norton Children’s network of specialists who can help manage gastrostomy tube (G-tube) care for children.
A G-tube is placed into the stomach through the abdomen to provide an alternate way to give food and/or medicines. It also may be used to vent the stomach for drainage or air. Our team aims to create a holistic, personalized treatment plan to meet your child’s unique needs once they are referred to the clinic.
Our multidisciplinary approach to care allows your child to be evaluated by several pediatric specialists all in the same visit. These specialists share clinic space, working to provide comprehensive, thoughtful evaluation and treatment to help your family successfully manage a child’s G-tube, nutrition and growth.
What We Treat
Children may need a G-tube for a variety of health issues. Some conditions that may require a child to have a G-tube placed include:
- Birth defects that affect the esophagus, such as esophageal atresia or tracheoesophageal fistula
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic lung disease
- Cleft lip or cleft palate
- Congenital heart defects
- Developmental delay
- Failure to thrive
- Premature birth
- Severe food allergy
- Swallowing difficulties (dysphagia)
A G-tube may be placed temporarily or permanently. We provide services that help manage G-tube care, including:
- Assessment of G-tube fit and balloon volume
- Instruction on G-tube management and replacement
- Individualized nutritional assessment for your child, including feeding tolerance
- Therapy to help your child safely taste, eat and drink by mouth
- Support for G-tube management with the child’s school, day care or durable medical equipment providers, as needed
The Norton Children’s G-Tube Feeding Clinic core team consists of board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians, advanced practice providers, therapists, nurses and other health care professionals in various specialties, including:
Our multidisciplinary team will work to make sure your child’s unique nutritional and G-tube needs are being addressed.
Novak Center for Children’s Health
411 East Chestnut Street, Level 6
Louisville, KY 40202