Child Psychiatry and Inpatient Psychiatric Care at Norton Children’s Hospital
Child psychiatry and psychology services at Norton Children’s Hospital include individualized psychiatric care to meet the needs of each child. We provide children and families with tools and resources to promote success during and after inpatient treatment. Our care team is composed of:
- University of Louisville residents
- Certified psychiatric nurses
- Psychiatric nurses
- Licensed social workers
- Mental health associates
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Care managers
- Jefferson County Public Schools educators
- Administrative assistants
- Staff from the hospital’s nursing leadership team, pastoral care, and child life and expressive therapies
We provide child psychiatry that’s ‘Just for Kids’
Norton Children’s Hospital offers inpatient psychiatric care for children ages 2 to 17 through the Ackerly Child Psychiatric Unit. A key feature of the unit is access to a full range of medical care and psychiatric treatment within the safety of Norton Children’s Hospital.
- Inpatient care
- Psychiatric emergency services
- Therapeutic services
- Comprehensive behavioral services
Learn more about our services
The Norton Children’s difference
With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital– The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialist offices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital– The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center– A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s offers specialized programs and services, including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 4 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Norton Children’s Child Psychiatry and Psychology Services
Call for information
If you have an emergency situation or crisis, call 911 or visit the closest emergency department.
A new study shows a large increase in the number of American women with chronic high blood pressure during pregnancy: an average of 6% each year over the 40 years of the study. “High blood […]Read Full Story
Before he was born, Schielar Skaggs’ parents, Terry and Melissa, worried about the life their son would have. Would he survive childbirth? If he did, would his life be short and filled with suffering and […]Read Full Story