Child Psychiatry and Inpatient Psychiatric Care at Norton Children’s Hospital
Child psychiatry and psychology services at Norton Children’s Hospital include individualized psychiatric care to meet the needs of each child. We provide children and families with tools and resources to promote success during and after inpatient treatment. Our care team is composed of:
- University of Louisville residents
- Certified psychiatric nurses
- Psychiatric nurses
- Licensed social workers
- Mental health associates
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Care managers
- Jefferson County Public Schools educators
- Administrative assistants
- Staff from the hospital’s nursing leadership team, pastoral care, and child life and expressive therapies
We provide child psychiatry that’s ‘Just for Kids’
Norton Children’s Hospital offers inpatient psychiatric care for children ages 2 to 17 through the Ackerly Child Psychiatric Unit. A key feature of the unit is access to a full range of medical care and psychiatric treatment within the safety of Norton Children’s Hospital.
- Inpatient care
- Psychiatric emergency services
- Therapeutic services
- Comprehensive behavioral services
Learn more about our services
The Norton Children’s difference
The care your child needs is close to home at Norton Children’s. With a 125-year presence in Louisville, Norton Children’s is a leader in pediatric care across Kentucky and Southern Indiana, providing an expanded footprint that includes:
- Norton Children’s Hospital– The region’s only full-service, free-standing pediatric hospital and Louisville’s only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. Norton Children’s Hospital also has one of the largest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care units in the country.
- Numerous regional outpatient centers and extensive pediatrician and pediatric specialistoffices throughout the area.
- Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital– The only women’s hospital in Louisville, providing care dedicated to the needs of women and children.
- Norton Children’s Medical Center– A unique regional outpatient facility designed “Just for Kids,” bringing pediatric care to northeastern Jefferson County and the surrounding area.
Norton Children’s offers specialized programs and services, including:
- Norton Children’s Cancer Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, and the Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which is one of the oldest oncology programs continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Norton Children’s Heart & Vascular Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, a pioneer in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. Norton Children’s heart surgeons performed Kentucky’s first heart transplant in a newborn in 1986, making the hospital the second site in the United States for infant transplants. Norton Children’s Hospital will be home to the Jennifer Lawrence Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (expected completion in 2019).
- Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery, including a Level 4 epilepsy center
- Orthopedic surgery and rehabilitation
- The Wendy Novak Diabetes Center
Norton Children’s Child Psychiatry and Psychology Services
Call for information
If you have an emergency situation or crisis, call 911 or visit the closest emergency department.
The Kentucky Poison Control Center of Norton Children’s Hospital has been working to reduce illness and death from poisoning in Kentucky for 65 years. The center provides 24/7 free and confidential access to specially trained […]Read Full Story
Nearly half of women who die by homicide in the U.S. are killed by a current or former intimate partner. Now a new study in JAMA Pediatrics shows that adolescent girls are at risk for […]Read Full Story
Across the nation there are some 800,000 dog bites reported each year. Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable to bites, even from the most innocent of dogs. Last year, 394 children were treated for […]Read Full Story