Norton Children’s Prevention & Wellness has six tips for children and families to help prevent injuries and stay healthy throughout the year.
Top 6 tips to keep your child safe and healthy
- Wash your hands: Washing your hands is one of the best ways to prevent spreading germs that can cause infection and illness. It’s easy to do and takes only a few minutes.
- Buckle up: All kids must use a proper safety restraint while riding in a vehicle. Children need car seats until they are 40 pounds. Children need a booster seat until 8 years old or 57 inches tall. Taller children can use a seat belt.
- Wear a helmet: Bike helmets can reduce the risk of severe brain injuries by almost 90 percent.
Norton Children’s Medical Group
- Eat right and stay active: To stay healthy and fit, children and adults should follow the 5-2-1-0 guidelines every day: five servings of fruits and vegetables, two hours or less of screen time, one hour or more of physical activity and zero sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Be safe, be seen: Children should know the rules of pedestrian safety and how to make sure drivers see them when they’re crossing the street. Looking down at a phone while texting can lead to an accident.
- Get regular checkups: Regular checkups with a pediatric primary care provider are important for keeping kids healthy. Norton Children’s Medical Group has several pediatric offices throughout the Louisville region. We often offer same-day appointments and accept Medicaid.