Join us for a free, fun-filled, live online class designed to teach you and your school-aged children how to eat well and stay active together.
Join us for this free, fun-filled, live online class designed to teach you and your school-age children how to eat well and stay active together! Adults and kids will practice making simple, healthy food and participate in an exercise activity that can be done at home. All physical fitness levels are welcome. The program grant is funded by Kohl’s Cares.
The virtual Fruit and Boot Camp will take place on the online platform Zoom, so you don’t have to leave your house. You will be emailed a list of ingredients prior to the class, so you can follow along during the cooking demonstration. You’ll also learn a fun new physical activity that you and your children can do from the comfort of your own home.
Children must be age 5 or older, and one parent or guardian must be present and participate with every two children registered. Registered participants will receive recipe information by email. Attend one or multiple sessions; there are four available:
- Tuesday, June 9, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 21, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 14, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 29, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Fruit and Boot Camp
This is a free Zoom event. Registration is required –– five dates are available in spring/summer 2020. You will need an email address and internet access to participate.
Healthy grocery shopping tips
More than ever, families are looking to eat healthy on a budget. Here are some tips to get you started on nutritious budget shopping:
- Shop the perimeter of the store to focus on main food groups and avoid processed items in the middle aisles.
- Make a shopping list ahead of time based on coupons and sales, considering in-season produce and frozen/canned options.
- Don’t shop when hungry — it may lead you to overspend!
- Read nutrition labels and ingredient lists to compare items.
- You don’t always need specific recipes; you can plan meals according to the MyPlate recommendations — fill a plate with one-half fruits and veggies, one-fourth lean protein and one-fourth whole grains.