Babies are unlikely to show an allergic reaction to cut or live Christmas trees.
Can a baby be allergic to a Christmas tree?
Mold spores on a fresh-cut Christmas tree can aggravate allergies in older children and adults, but inhaling mold, pollen, pet dander and other frequent causes of “hay fever” is rarely the cause of allergic reactions in infants. Food allergies are more common in babies.
Allergic reactions develop after exposure to the trigger. Before age 1 or 2, babies typically haven’t had enough exposure to inhaled allergens to develop a reaction.
“If your newborn is sneezing, coughing, has watery eyes or other symptoms of a seasonal allergy, check with your pediatrician before treating a child under age 2 with antihistamines even if they are available over the counter,” said Maria T. Bowling, M.D., pediatrician with Norton Children’s Medical Group – Windy Hills.
If your baby has allergy symptoms, contact your pediatrician, who may want to rule out other possible causes, according to Dr. Bowling.
Older children and adults are susceptible to increased mold levels from bringing a pine tree indoors.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, inhaling or touching mold spores may cause a reaction in people who are allergic to them.
Norton Children’s Medical Group
After-hours access and more than 20 pediatrician offices through the Louisville area and Southern Indiana
Symptoms of the allergy — sometimes called Christmas tree syndrome — include:
- Runny nose
- Red, itchy eyes
- Skin rash
Solutions include an artificial tree or opening a window for several minutes each day to help prevent allergic reactions.
|Signs and Symptoms||COVID-19||Cold||Influenza||Allergies|
|Fever||Common||Rare||Usually; lasts 3 to 4 days||No|
|Aches||Sometimes||Slight||Usually; often severe||No|
|Chest discomfort, cough||Common||Mild to moderate; hacking cough||Common; can be severe||Sometimes|
|Shortness of breath||When serious||Rare||Rare||Sometimes|
|New loss of taste or smell||Common||No||No||No|