The ideal exercise program combines strength training, aerobic exercise, and stretching (flexibility) exercises. These videos show strength training exercises that are specifically designed to fit into a weight loss plan, along with some tips on how to do each one.
But you don't have to be managing your weight to do these. They're great beginner exercises for anyone to try.
Before you start any kind of exercise program, check with your doctor. It's also good to know these strength training basics:
- Plan to do strength training exercises 3 days a week. Take a day off in between to give muscles time to rest.
- Warm up your muscles with some light aerobic activity before doing strength exercises. Cool down after by stretching the muscles you worked.
- Know and use proper form for each exercise. Doing exercises improperly can cause injury. If you don't know the correct form for any exercises, ask your weight management advisor, trainer, or PE teacher for advice.
- Do each exercise slowly.
- Remember to breathe! Breathe out on the hard part and in on the easy part. Don't hold your breath — doing so can cause your blood pressure to spike and may make you feel dizzy.
- Start out with a light weight. You want to be able to do 10 reps with the weight you're using and then feel like you could do a couple more. If you can't lift the weight all the way, your arm or leg is shaking, or you're leaning in order to do the exercise, the weight is too heavy.
How Can I Get Motivated to Exercise?
Find out what the experts have to say.Read More
When Being Overweight Is a Health Problem
A couple of pounds of extra body fat are not a health risk for most people. But when people are severely overweight, it can cause health problems.Read More
Dynamic Stretching (Video)
These videos guide you through 8 dynamic stretches that target different muscles and areas of the body.Read More
Losing Weight: Brandon's Story (Video)
Brandon, 17, has lost 70 pounds through better eating and exercise. In this video he talks about what inspired him and how he stayed on track.Read More
5 Ways to Reach a Healthy Weight
Most dieters regain the weight they lost by dieting when they go back to their old eating habits. Get our tips on the best ways to drop excess weight.Read More
Motivation and the Power of Not Giving Up
Everyone struggles with staying motivated and reaching their goals. Just look at how many people diet, lose weight, and then gain it back again. But it's still possible to stay motivated if you take the right approach.Read More
Is working out with weights safe for teens? The best way to build muscle tone and definition is to combine aerobic and flexibility exercises with the right kind of strength training.Read More