Most childhood poisonings happen in the home. They usually can be treated at home with advice from the poison control center. But it's important to know when a poisoning is serious enough to need medical treatment.
Signs and Symptoms
- sudden change in behavior
- unusual odor
- pill pieces on the lips or clothes
- heavy drooling
What to Do
- If you think that your child has taken a poison and he or she is alert, contact your local poison control center right away for advice (1-800-222-1222).
Get Emergency Medical Care or Call 911 if:
- Your child has taken a poison and isn't acting normally. It's important to bring the bottle or container of the pills or liquid that your child took. Don't give a child ipecac.
To help prevent poisoning:
- Keep medicines in locked cabinets.
- Keep cleaning products and alcohol in locked cabinets or far out of reach.
- Discard (or recycle) used button cell batteries (like those in remote controls) safely. Store unused ones far from children's reach.
- Never tell a child that medicine tastes like candy.
- Never put cleaning products in containers that were once used for food or drink.
- Never put rodent poison on the floor.
Household Safety: Preventing Poisoning
From fertilizer to antifreeze and medicines to makeup, poisonous items are throughout our homes. Here's how to protect your kids from ingesting a poisonous substance.Read More
What You Need to Know in an Emergency
In an emergency, it's hard to think clearly about your kids' health information. Here's what important medical information you should have handy, just in case.Read More
Long-term exposure to lead can cause serious health problems, particularly in young kids, so it's important to find out whether your child might be at risk for lead exposure.Read More