How your sense of smell helps you taste foods. Without your nose, you may not be able to tell the difference between foods — especially if the foods all have the same texture (for instance, jelly beans with various flavors, gloppy yogurt and pudding, or slices of different fruits and vegetables).
- A grown-up to help
- A friend or two
- A blindfold
- Foods to taste, such as different flavored jelly beans, different fruit and vegetable slices, or a variety of yogurts and puddings
- Spoons, if necessary
- A cup of drinking water for everyone
- Blindfold a friend.
- Ask your friend to pinch his or her nose.
- Offer your friend one flavor of the food at a time.
- Can he or she identify it? (Your friend might want a drink of water between the different foods.)
- Offer the same food and tell your friend to unpinch his or her nose. Now does your friend know what it is?
Back to Articles