Hot car injury prevention
Since 1998, more than 700 children nationwide — 20 in Kentucky and 12 in Indiana — have died from heat stroke while left unattended in vehicles. It only takes 10 minutes for the temperature inside a vehicle to rise 20 degrees — 80 percent of the total heat rise occurs in the first 30 minutes. If a child is left inside even for a few minutes in a hot car, the consequences can be deadly.
It doesn’t have to be summer for a hot car-related injury or death; it can get up to 50 degrees higher than the current temperature inside of a car.
How to protect children from heat stroke and hot car-related injuries
More than half of child heat stroke deaths occur because parents or caregivers accidentally leave the child in the car. If you’re driving with a child in your car, use these tips to stay safe:
- Do not leave a child in a car unattended. If you are exiting the vehicle, so should the child.
- Choose an item that you need before leaving your car — a cellphone, purse or wallet — and place it on the floor in the back seat, in front of the child.
- Set an alarm on your cellphone as a reminder to drop off your child at school or day care.
- Set your computer calendar to remind you with a question such as, “Did you drop off at child care today?”
- Ask your child care provider to call you if your child is absent.
- Call 911 if you see a child alone in a car.
Coming out is not a one-time event for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning and intersex children and teens. It’s a journey of understanding, acknowledging and sharing one’s sexual orientation and/or gender identity with others. It […]Read Full Story
For parents, a child’s eating habits can be a concern from infancy through the teen years and even adulthood. From the picky toddler who will eat only a specific food for days on end, to […]Read Full Story
Jay spent the start of summer glued to his Xbox. When his mom brought him to Healthy Living Workshops, a wellness series sponsored by Kohl’s Cares and held by Norton Children’s Prevention & Wellness at […]Read Full Story