Sunscreen, water, more sunscreen, more water and a clever tip for keeping track of the kids at Thunder over Louisville 2018
To make the most of your family’s time at Thunder over Louisville 2018 on Saturday, here are some tips for staying healthy and safe:
- Save your skin. The weather is going to be sunny and warm, so be sure to pack the sunscreen. In addition to protecting against sunburn, a sun protection factor (SPF) of as low as 30 helps reduce the risk of melanoma – the most deadly skin cancer. Sunscreen is only effective when used correctly. Apply 15 to 30 minutes before heading to the waterfront, then reapply at least every two hours. Read more about sun safety.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day. Both kids and adults should drink water whether thirsty or not. Keep bottled water with you to sip on every hour to avoid dehydration.
Norton Children’s Prevention & Wellness
A healthy kid is a happy kid. Norton Children’s Prevention & Wellness provides resources to help you and your child build healthy habits as a family.
- Watch where you walk. Cross streets only at crosswalks. Make eye contact with drivers before crossing to make sure they see you. Law enforcement will be out trying to keep you safe, so let them help you cross. Don’t duck under barricades.
- Keep your eyes on your surroundings. Falling is one of the biggest causes of injuries at events like Thunder over Louisville. If you’re on the phone, texting or taking selfies with the spectacular fireworks, you could easily walk right into a tripping hazard.
- Protect your hearing. The air show and fireworks will emit extraordinarily loud noises. Move away from speakers and consider ear protection for yourself and your children. Here are more ways to protect your family’s hearing.
- Keep an eye on small ones. Kids will be excited and can easily slip out of sight in a crowd. Before you go, place a piece of masking tape with your name and phone number inside of your child’s shirt. Instruct your child to look for a police officer if he or she gets separated from you.