The 2019 COOL Kids Triathlon, brought to you by Norton Children’s Orthopedics of Louisville, is Saturday, June 8. There’s still time to register! It’s not a race — the idea is to finish and have some fun trying new sports. Here are some tips to help get your child ready for the big day — make sure to pay attention for updates regarding the weather on Saturday.
Days before the race
- Keep an eye out for emails with important event information. You’ll be reminded about packet pickup start time, event updates due to the weather and more.
- Check your child’s bike and helmet. Both should be appropriate for your child’s size.
COOL Kids Triathlon Packet Pickup
Friday, June 7
Time: 4 to 7 p.m.
Ken Combs Running Store
4137 Shelbyville Road
Saturday, June 8
Time: 6:30 to 7:45 a.m.
E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park
3000 Freys Hill Road
The night before the race
- Dinner is even more important than breakfast on “race” day. Make sure your child has a well-balanced dinner of lean protein and carbohydrates. Hydration also is important, so stick with water or milk instead of sugary and caffeinated drinks.
- Check the weather. Help choose a weather-appropriate outfit that your child will feel comfortable wearing to participate in the event.
- Lay clothes out the night before. This step can help ease stress in morning.
Morning of the race
- Give yourself plenty of time. Get up early enough to give your family time to get ready, eat, hydrate and travel to Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center. Have your child eat first thing, and take a snack and water with you to have a few minutes before the start.
Worried about the weather? Stay updated through Norton Children’s social media
Race day schedule
Body marking: 6:30 to 8 a.m.
Transition area set up: 6:30 to 8 a.m.
Event start: 8:15 a.m. (1K course participants first, ages 12-14 second, ages 9-11 third, ages 6-8 last)
Awards: approximately 9:45 a.m.