The COOL Kids Triathlon is set for Saturday, June 10, at the Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center, but you’ll have to sign up soon to get on the 200-kid roster.
Children ages 6 to 14 can take part in the swim, bike and run event. A duathlon option also is available for kids who don’t swim — they’ll get an additional running portion.
Distances are broken down by age groups: 6-8, 9-11 and 12-14. Event distances vary by age groups. The triathlon is on a closed course at Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center, part of Metro Parks.
This won’t be the bruising triathlons adults go through, but a fun way for kids to get moving and perhaps push themselves a little bit.
Each child will receive a T-shirt, finisher medal, official race bib and swim cap, and will have an opportunity to win an award during a post-race celebration. Just like in Olympic and sprint distances, participants will be body marked, wear official chip timers and race a course with professional equipment and a music system.
- All age groups will start at 10 a.m.
- Children ages 6 to 8 will swim 50 meters (about half a football field), bike 1.5 kilometers (just less than a mile) and run 1 kilometer (about two-thirds of a mile).
- The 9- to 11-year-olds will swim 100 meters (about a football field), bike 3 kilometers (almost 2 miles) and run 2 kilometers (about 1.25 miles).
- Youth ages 12 to 14 will swim 200 meters (four laps in an Olympic-size pool or just more than 200 yards), bike 5 kilometers (3 miles) and run 3 kilometers (nearly 2 miles).
- Registration (including race day) – $25 ($10 of fee is for a required USAT membership)